Google Maps Guide
Putting the location of your business on Google Maps can be very beneficial to you. It allows for your business to be discovered more easily by making it visible in anyone’s web browser. It will provide your potential customers with important information such as contact information, business locations, and driving directions.
Increasing your availability to potential customers and making it easy and convenient for them to find and talk to you or your offices means that you can do more business. Now that you have an idea of what a Google Map listing is and what it is good for, the only question now is to learn how to set one up for yourself. Below, you will find step by step instructions that will guide you through the process so that you too can start to gain from the many advantages that Google Maps can offer.
Checking for and Claiming an Existing Listing
1. Find out if you are already listed – use the google.com or the Google Search tool bar on your browser and type in the name of your business. If you get results that show your business along with a small Google Map beside it, then you know that you are lucky enough to have already been listed.
2. View your listing – if there is already a listing created, below it you will see a link saying “reviews, directions, and more.” Click on that in order to view more info about the listing. Look at the top right and if you see a link called “Business Owner?” instead of a name, you will know that the listing has not yet been claimed. You would be well advised to claim your listing as soon as possible so that another person cannot.
3. Claim your listing – click the “Business Owner?” link and then select the “Edit my business information” option from the list that will be presented to you. Then click continue. From there you can begin filling out information concerning your business.
Creating a New Listing
1. Your Google account – you will need to have access to an active Google account. Either you will need to create an account if you don’t have one, or you can log into the account that you already possess.
a. Created a Google account – first of all, visit google.com and click the sign in link at the top right of the screen. Below the sign in box, there will be a “Create an account now” link. From there, simply fill in the required information.
b. Log into your existing Google account – after you have created your Google account, or, if you already had a Google account, you only need to sign into it.
2. Google Places – once you are logged into your Google account, visit the google.com web page. You will see your gmail address on the top right of the page. Click your gmail address. In the drop down list you will see the “Account Settings” link. Click on that and look down the page to the “My Products” section of that page. There you will see a link to “Google Places.”
3. Add a new listing – On the right side of the “Google Places” home page, you will see a “List your business” option. Click it. This will take you to a page requesting your country and phone number information.
4. Fill in the categories – After you have entered your country and phone number, you will be taken to another page that is full of many more information fields. You should fill in as many as possible. The more of these field that you use, the more information that will be provided to your potential customers and the higher the rating of your listing, which will go far in helping to get it recognized and ranked highly by the Google search engine.Basic Information– fill out the basic information so that customer get a general understanding about what business you are and where you are located. Your contact information is also included here so that they can get in touch with you.
Service Areas and Location Settings – this information lets the customer know if you provide delivery or if you make house visits to customers.
Hours of operations – this lets people know on what days and at what times your business is in operation.
Payment options – you can let a person know what types of payment you are willing and able to accept.
Photos – you might find it rather helpful to provide photos of your business or building in order to give others a better idea about who you are
Videos – a picture is worth a thousand words, but a video is worth even more. You can give a visual description of your business and even give demonstrations of the services that you provide. This can be very effective in persuading potential customers in purchasing your products and services.
Additional Details–this section allows you to elaborate a bit more on the various services and products that your business has to offer. Here, you can name specific items and give brief descriptions to each.
5. Verify listing – Having completed all the information fields, you may then click on the submit button at the bottom of the screen. You will then be required to verify that you are the rightful owner of the listing that you have just submitted. You can either do this by phone, or by postcard. Now you are on your way to marketing your business over the web.
Article Provided By:
Adaptivity Pro Web Design
Salt Lake City Utah
P.O. Box 951049
South Jordan, UT