List Segmentation for your E-Mail Campaign a Success
Turn your list of leads into business contacts and sales with a well-thought out segmentation strategy. Crafting your e-mail message to provide relevant content to a particular segment will increase your success with people who have already responded positively to your lead generation efforts. By dividing your e-mail list into clearly identified segments, you are able to provide your leads with creative and interesting campaigns.
Here are some things to consider when segmenting your list:
- Identify your customers. Here are some ways you can divvy up your leads:
- Depending on the type of service you provide, your leads’ zip codes can be a way for you to segment them. This includes services that are concentrated on a geographic area, such as a restaurant (that offers delivery) or the grocery store. If your business has multiple locations, you can also design your e-mails to direct the recipient to your nearest branch.
- Demographic segments. The basic questions you have asked in your lead generation form can help you place each recipient into sectors such as gender, age and income.
- Level of your “relationship”. Identify frequent shoppers, non-responders, those who have abandoned their shopping carts and new leads. For loyal customers, you can send special and exclusive offers that tells them that their loyalty is appreciated. For those who have bought in the past but who have not visited your site lately, you can send a “how are you?” note to try to rebuild your relationship. For those who are in the process of checking out but have not done so, you can sweeten the deal for them to complete the checkout by offering free shipping or a discount coupon. For new subscribers, encourage increased engagement with your website by providing them with a lot of incentives such as a first-time purchase discount. There are also people in your list that never respond to your past emails. You can give a last-ditch effort to reach out by sending a confirmation of their opt-in. The recipients may either opt to subscribe or unsubscribe to your e-mails.
- Preferred sending frequency. To ensure that you do not annoy your leads, you can directly ask them how often they want to get notifications from you.
- Concentrate on giving quality content targeted for each segment. Segmenting can help you provide communication that grabs your recipient’s attention. A mass e-mail can actually turn some of your recipients off. It sends the message that you do not really know your customers personally and that there is no effort towards getting to know them. If you regularly send e-mails that are irrelevant to your recipients, they may simply start ignoring them or relegating your e-mails to the junk folder.
- Be mobile friendly. Consider that most of the people in your e-mailing list read their e-mails on the go, using a mobile device. Be sure that your mailers are optimized for viewing through tablets and smartphones, as well as through the desktop.
- Make use of images. Use less text and more images. Images are more compelling as these appeal to the eyes and the emotions. Your copy should complement these images and should be strategically placed within the images. Better yet, you can try adding a video to accompany your e-mail.
- Use persuasive and effective calls to action. You will find that segmenting your list can help you craft the appropriate calls-to-action for each segment. Of course, you should remember to only have one main call-to-action in your e-mail, since having too many will just confuse the reader.
- Avoid “spammy” words. Words such as “additional income”, “free grant money”, “work from home” or “meet singles” have already been flagged as these tends to be used with a lot of spam e-mails. These e-mails may be about illegal activities, scams or e-mails that may potential have viruses.
- Keep track of the results. Are your efforts to reach out to your e-mail listing effective? Regularly measuring the results will help you determine what works and what needs some improvement.
About Adaptivity Pro
Do you need help with your e-mail marketing strategy and implementation? You can turn to Adaptivity Pro for help with e-mail marketing and other Internet marketing services. Adaptivity Pro also offers quality Utah web design services so that you can provide a robust framework to serve your customers when you are able to effectively engage them through your e-mail marketing activities. They also have a team of specialists for SLC SEO to help with lead generation activities.