Building an E-Commerce Website
Online retail sales provide one of the fastest-growing opportunities in business today. With an e-commerce website, you widen your reach, enabling you to see not just to local customers but also to international ones. You can add to your bricks-and-mortar store with an e-commerce website. You can also decide to forego a physical store and operate an e-commerce website.
Here are some things you can consider, if you want to build a website:
- Choose your niche. With the extensive choices available online, it is better to define what niche you want to target rather than trying to sell to all markets. What products do you want to sell and to whom do you want to sell these to? Identifying your niche can help simplify the next steps. Your approach and product line for Baby Boomer customers will be different from how you will sell and how your e-commerce website will look if your target are millenials.
- Do some market testing. Is there really a demand for the product or service you are offering? Before you invest your money and effort in a new e-commerce website, it is good to see how well the public responds. One way to do this is to begin a blog that features your products. Work to build traffic through Google ads and affiliate links in Amazon. How is the response?
- Ensure the quality of your products. Check that your source for the products is not only cheap but also one that has high quality standards. If you need to source out your products from a foreign source such as China, be sure that you work with someone in that country who speaks both your language and the local language and who knows the ins and outs of the production.
- Build and implement an SEO and social media marketing strategy. A good Internet marketing strategy will help lead traffic to your e-commerce website. This also includes providing catchy copy and product descriptions that successfully integrate keywords. Be an active member in industry forums. Look for opportunities to write a guest blog post for other blogs.
- Choose the right E-commerce website platform. There are a number of platforms you can choose from: Shopify, Magneto, Sellr or OSCommerce. All of these have their advantages, disadvantages and related costs. However, when choosing your platform, do not merely consider the current costs – choose with the future in mind. Once you have built a website, it will be a massive headache to move from one platform to another. In addition, remember that the web-hosting provider you choose should be compatible with the platform of your choice.
- Set-up facilities for electronic payments. PayPal, WorldPay and credit cards are the usual choices when it comes to receiving payments from your online customers. You need to setup a merchant account with these organizations for you to be able to process online payments in such a way that it is hassle-free and convenient to your customers.
- Strengthen your customer service team. Remember that selling through the Internet has a focus on the convenience of the customer. Thus, you need to provide exceptional customer experiences (often beyond what they experience in a brick and mortar store). You need a team that can promptly address customer complaints and questions.
- Be prepared for problems that come with an e-commerce business. This includes damaged items, delivery issues, carriers that lose packages and products going out of stock. Understandably, there will be losses (monetary and goodwill) that you will need to bear. In addition, you need to have a system in place to check for the possibility of fraud. There are also a lot of online tricksters that may take advantage of an online store’s willingness to service a large order.
- Work with a trusted partner. Adaptivity Pro is a trusted Utah web design provider that can help you design and build your e-commerce website. You also need experts that are able to provide you with good SLC SEO and copywriting services. Adaptivity Pro has been in the business of building and designing eye catching and robust websites, including e-commerce websites. We have a team of professionals who can do graphic design, programming, copywriting, SEO analysis and other Internet-based services you may need.