Quick and Easy Tips to Simplify Your Web Design
In the world of website design, the adage “Simplicity is Beauty” makes a lot of sense. A website with a lot of design elements, layers and pages can be confusing and can make navigation difficult for your users. In contrast, a sleek and simple website can more effectively achieve your goals in terms of engagement, lead generation and sales.
Here are some ways for you to simplify your website design:
- Make a website plan. One of the main complaints in a website is the number of pages one has to navigate in order to get to what they want. To help you compress your pages, you must start with a website plan that outlines the various goals you have for your website and how you can assign webpages to achieve one of the goals. You can also plan the outline that will point or funnel potential leads to a specific page where he is invited to perform a certain action (i.e. sign up for a newsletter, buy a product or contact you with more information).
- Stick to the essentials. It can be tempting to add a lot of “fun” and “interesting” features. However, we end up adding elements that do not help you reach the goals of the website or a particular page. For instance, a landing page that has a lot of elements and choices weakens your call to action since the user is faced with a lot of distractions and does not know at one glance what action you want him to take. So, prioritize and ask whether an element is really important to that particular page. Here, the Pareto principle or the 80-20 rule works to weed out the unessential. The Pareto principle states that it is only 20% of your efforts that provide 80% of the results. Thus, focus on building and strengthening 20% that brings results. This can even help you improve the performance of your website.
- Place all the essentials above the fold. Rather than having your readers scroll down for more information, make sure that key content and the call-to-action elements are placed above the fold.
- Get rid of the unessential. Once you have identified the important elements, you can start editing your page and taking out anything that is unnecessary. Look at the page. Does it have unnecessary advertisements, social media sharing buttons, pictures, links and text? Ask: Does this design element help in achieving the goal for this page? If not, then that design element is just clutter – something you should ruthlessly get rid of.
- Go for a sleek and clean look. Limit the number of colors and fonts in your website. Rather, use a few well-selected colors (or perhaps, one or two colors in various shades). You can also use a couple of accent colors. The same goes for fonts. Use fonts with simple lines, rather than elaborate ones. Limit your fonts to at most, three types. In addition, make use of white space, especially on the margins of the page. Your text should not be lumped into one space so that it looks overwhelming and off-putting. Rather, divide your text into easy to read paragraphs with sub-headings. With all these design tips, the goal is to simply allow the readers to focus on the content without the annoying design distractions.
About Adaptivity Pro
The above tips are just a few of the web design principles that help ensure that your website is effective and engaging its target audience. For more help on SLC web design, Adaptivity Pro is your partner of choice. We have been in the business of providing quality web design, Utah SEO and internet marketing services that get the results you want. With our team of web design, copy writing and programming experts, you are assured of sleek and well-designed websites that add value to your brand.