Smart Infographic Tips for Your Website and Blog
Infographics is an excellent way to keep people engaged in your website. It is important to understand that our users are visually wired and that infographics are a powerful method for the website to interact with its users via data visualization. Couple this with the fact that people are bombarded with information and tend to simply skim through content they find in the internet. You have to find ways to capture their attention so that you are able to get your message across.
And this is where infographics can help. Infographics add visual appeal to any information you have. What’s more, a good infographic has the potential to go viral and thus, spread the word about you, your brand and the website.
Here are some tips for you to make the most out of using infographics on your website and blog:
- Keep it simple and focused. The infographic should not look too “busy”, with a lot of images and statistics packed into the page. Rather, help the reader visualize the information in bite-sized pieces. Rather than present a potpourri of information, focus on a key topic. If you find the topic a bit more complicated, present your information in three or four infographics, rather cramming the information into a single page.
- Follow the principles of design. Here are some rules to keep in mind: Minimize text. Minimize the number of fonts. Use easy-to-read font sizes. Choose a single color scheme and stick to it. There should be enough “white space” in the infographic to delineate separate pieces of information and provide some room for the eyes to rest.
- Add color. The wise and creative use of color will make an infographic more engaging to the readers. According to a report entitled “The Creative Properties of Color”, the use of color increases the willingness of readers to stop and read the content by 80%.
- Add numbers. Even with charts and graphs, it is still helpful for readers to see some numbers, especially for key elements of the infographic. Before you add the figures and facts, though, be sure that these are accurate and the sources properly cited.
- Consider working with a graphic designer. You and your team do not need to have the creative and technical expertise to make an infographic. You can also outsource this to an expert, who has the eye for design, an understanding of what works and who has the technical skills to render your ideas into a compact picture file.
- Link social media back to your website. If you are planning on publishing your infographic to social media sites, it is best to host it on your website or blog first and then share the infographic on social media. This way, you benefit from the increase in traffic. If you would rather post the infographic directly on Twitter or Facebook, add the link to your website. When posting, make sure that the image is compressed so that it loads quickly.
- Make it easy to share your infographic. For an infographic to go viral, it should not only be well-designed but also strategically published. Make sure to enable users to share the infographic on their social media accounts. Also, give your readers the code that enables them to share the infographic on their own blog or website.
- Use infographics to generate leads. You can also insert a call-to-action on the blog post that comes with the infographic, plus an offer (i.e. subscription to free newsletter or access to a white paper). The call-to-action button should be linked to a landing page where you have a simple sign up form for readers who want to avail of your offer.
- Use SEO strategies to promote your infographic. When posting your infographic on your website or blog, be sure to add a keyword-rich text so that the infographic is also “searchable” by search engines.
- Use an attention-getting headline. The headline should be descriptive, short and able to grab the attention of the reader so that he will want to take a look at it. Limit the length of the text so that readers can read and understand the title at a glance.
About Adaptivity Pro
For your infographic design needs, we recommend that you go to the experts – Adaptivity Pro. We have a team of Utah web design artists who can also help you present your ideas in a creative and effective manner. What’s more, we also have Utah SEO specialists, copy writers and programmers for all your website design and internet marketing needs.